Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Sopranos Are Over - Now Forgetaboutit


So much talk about The Sopranos Series Finale from Sunday night. Seems no one is satisified. People are threatening to cancel their HBO subscription (lame), calling the finale a cop out, that it never cleared anything up. Personally I like that fact that it ended that way so we could come to our own conclusions. The creator of the show has finally commented on the ending and says we can look for clues in the episode.

David Chase, series creator, said he would leave it to fans to interpret the show's last scene for themselves. It featured the members of the Soprano family arriving for dinner as Journey's "Don't Stop Believin"' plays. Others in the restaurant include a man in a Member's Only jacket who goes to the bathroom, which some fans have interpreted as a nod to the scene in "The Godfather" in which Michael Corleone retrieves a gun from the bathroom before a shooting.

As the music and tension build, the screen suddenly goes silent and dark.

"I have no interest in explaining, defending, reinterpreting, or adding to what is there," said Chase, 61, who grew up in North Caldwell.

"People get the impression that you're trying to (mess) with them, and it's not true. You're trying to entertain them," he said. "Anybody who wants to watch it, it's all there."

Chase also elaborated on how he decided to make the Journey classic the last music played on the series.

"It didn't take much time at all to pick it, but there was a lot of conversation after the fact. I did something I'd never done before: In the location van, with the crew, I was saying, 'What do you think?' When I said, 'Don't Stop Believin',' people went, 'What? Oh my God!'

"I said, 'I know, I know, just give a listen,' and little by little, people started coming around."

source

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am very sorry the Sopranos has come to an end. I normally don't care much for t.v. but that series was soooo good. As for the last episode, I'm afraid I didn't like it. I think it was one big lazy cop-out by the show's creators. Oh well. Life goes on.