Friday, June 29, 2007

Isaiah Needs To Shut The Hell Up


Looks like getting fired from the hit show Grey's Anatomy still won't keep Isaiah Washington from sticking his foot in it. He's still yap yap yapping to anyone who'll listen, about how 'unfairly' he's being treated by tv execs and the public. He's now playing the race card.

"There is no rehab for homophobia – that was just some crap being put out by the network," Washington, 43, tells Newsweek of the treatment he received after using a homophobic slur during an argument with Grey's costar Patrick Dempsey.

"I went into an executive counseling program which many people in this industry know about and go to. They knew what the program was but chose to call it what they wanted to fit their agenda. And more importantly, I volunteered for it because I wanted to understand my fight with Patrick and how it got out of hand like that."

Washington says he even paid half the fee for his treatment, and adds: "I thought [ABC] sending me meant they actually wanted me to succeed and come out on the other end." The network declined to comment for the story.

The actor also describes race as a factor in his downfall. During his fight with Dempsey, he says, "Someone heard the booming voice of a black man and got really scared and that was the beginning of the end for me."

On his subsequent firing: "I apologized and showed my remorse for what I said and for the pain I caused anyone. If a black man can't get forgiveness in this country, when so many other people like Robert Downey Jr. and the governor of California get second and third chances ... I think that says a lot about race and this country where we stand."

Later in the article, he says: "It didn't help me on the set that I was a black man who wasn't a mush-mouth Negro walking around with his head in his hands all the time. ? I had a person in human resources tell me after this thing played out that 'some people' were afraid of me around the studio. I asked her why, because I'm a 6'1" black man with dark skin and who doesn't go around saying 'Yessah, massa sir' and 'No sir, massa' to everyone?''

But the Newsweek article says Washington has a reputation in the film industry for lashing out at others, and points out that, several years ago, he had an angry confrontation with his Soul Food producer Tracey Edmonds (who is currently dating Eddie Murphy).

"I have a mind of my own and I do speak it when I feel it's right," he says. "In this business that's considered being difficult and hard to deal with."

I will be thankful if I don't see his face on tv again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok. I'm not black...never been black...don't think I'll ever experience what it is to be black. That having been said, I think this guy is using the 'race card' to avoid taking repsonsibility for his actions. Obvs, he has some deep-seeded hatred that bubbled up to to the surface. You don't choke a co-worker and get away with it...whatever your race! If he was unhappy or was having problems with his gig on Grey's then he should have spoken up. Resorting to violence and name calling/intimidation shows that clearly, he was unstable. Suck it up, MAN UP, and accept responsibility for your (fucktard) actions.

Nuff said.

Leisa said...

anon - WORD.

~Pees With A Fist Sitting Down said...

I read somewhere that a black woman created the show & fired him. How's that for tryin to "stick it to the man"? Pff. Whatever. Next please!

Anonymous said...

It's too bad he had to go there. He's so talented and he might have made it after Grey's, but now I think he put his foot in his mouth again. Bet he wishes Johnny Cochran wasn't dead.

Anonymous said...

I love this post and its title. What a jerk this guy is. He is acting as if African Americans were just released from the plantation. Give me a break. He was making more money than most white people will ever see in 10 lifetimes, and yet he plays the race card. Barf. The only one guilty of discrimination in this whole thing is him. He got himself fired. Period. He needs to accept the consequences of his actions.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Mr. Washington: You choked --- choked as in physically assaulted -- a coworker. That alone would have made me afraid of you. At any other workplace in America, you would have been fired on the spot and possibly arrested. Sorry, that's normal. People are not allowed to assault their coworkers in the workplace.

It looked to me like ALL of your coworkers were letting the incident retreat into the past and they were being very supportive in that manner -- until you repeated the slur-! in public-! on national TV no less-! at the Golden Globes. Sorry, Mr. Martyr, that is on no one but you. Maybe you thought it was cute to take the chance to insult your coworker again under the guise of denying it, but what you did is on video and and speaks for itself.

I feel sorry for you because you don't know how to be a team player. Your boss (that racist, plantation-owning, black b*tch) was fielding the question and your entire team of coworkers were in public at what was supposed to be a celebration of everyone's good work -- including yours. Way to have the dirty laundry steal the limelight.

What about YOUR support of your coworkers? You were lucky they let you finish out your contract. If you had exhibited any kind of grace or class since your bad behavior became public, you might not have poisoned your career for the future. Do you think *any* team - in Hollywood or out -would want to take you on in the future?

Any future employer knows they risk having their other employees assaulted and insulted. They know they risk having themselves threatened with lawsuits and as a final insult to their professional reputation, having you play the race card when all else fails. Oh - and they know that you will hijack and ruin even the company's best moments and celebrations because it's all about you, all the time.

The entire team was willing to let it go and you blew it at the Golden Globes. They WERE supporting you, you poor, self-absorbed, pitiful, angry, entitled person. The saddest thing is that you think it is everybody's fault but yours.

There is a lot of racism in this society but this was not an example of that. It is an example of what an angry, violent, selfish and petty man can do to mess up his life and ruin the chance of a lifetime for an actor.

I know that's a bitter pill. It's the truth. God help you. Maybe someday instead of fake rehab and fake PSAs, you might try a 12 step meeting for anger and take the first step of admitting your life is unmanageable.

Anonymous said...

I am not justifying what he said. He was wrong! But I have heard people in the media(e.g. Actors, Actresses, screenwriters, songwriters, ect.) say worse things. I just am a bit afraid of the future of America. What is this country coming to when your freedom of speech is being threatened? Soon we will see a communist America! If Mr. Washington could get fired for bigotry, what about those Rappers that call women, b*tches and H*s? and Calling their own N*ggers this and N*ggers that! Why are they still in business?!?! And why is it ok to degrade women in the media and be a chauvanist?!?! Or exploit women in the media? Why are they not fired? Why is Howard Stern still in business? Why is it ok for the media to flash my childrens' face with the gay lifestyle and call me intolerant or a bigot because I believe in family values??? Aren't they intolerant of me!?!?! Aren't they the true bigots? I believe everyone has the freedom to live their lifestyle as they choose! But don't bring it into my home(media). If you live a drugusing lifestyle, keep it to yourself, if you live a prostitute lifestyle, keep it to yourself, ect. This country is turning into a sad sight! When you could get fired for saying positive things like God, Jesus, Christ, prayer, ect. But negative words like saying B*tches and H*s, and N*ggers are praised and make you millions! Wake up people! The media has a double standard! Freedom of speech my b*tt.

Anonymous said...

This guy is a retard. R.E.T.A.R.D. He was fired because he was an irrational, over-bearing, egomaniacal jack-ass. I hate people who play the race card. And then he says that the other guy should've been fired instead? I'll never watch anything with him in it again. Ever.