Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Don't Mean To Scare Ya...


but my friend Laura sent me this link on the weekend, and now I feel like I'm rubbing cancer on my skin at night. This site let's you type in your daily skincare products, hair products, deodorants, etc etc. It will rate them on a scale of 1-10 as to the damage it's causing our bodies. I know it's not gossip, but I just had to share.

Skin Deep, an online safety guide for cosmetics and personal care products. Our aim was to fill in where companies and the government leave off: companies are allowed to use almost any ingredient they wish, and our government doesn't require companies to test products for safety before they're sold. EWG's scientists built Skin Deep to be a one-of-a-kind resource, integrating our in-house collection of personal care product ingredient listings with more than 50 toxicity and regulatory databases.

Now in its fourth year and third major update, our Skin Deep database provides you with easy-to-navigate safety ratings for nearly a quarter of all products on the market — 27,206 products with 7,111 ingredients. At about one million page views per month, Skin Deep is the world's largest and most popular product safety guide.

I'm a big user of Kinerase, Philosophy, Fresh, Pureology, Bliss.....I could go on and on..... all have lots of bad bad stuff. Kinerase, surprisingly, isn't rated too bad, and I love it so much, I'll stick with it. Even my Pureology shampoo and conditioner, which are sulphate free, vegan and the rest of it, rated poorly. No sulphates and still it can cause me cancer?! Ack! I'm also a mayjah fan of Bare Escentuals. LOVE Bare Escentuals. It's supposed to be pure, clean, mineral makeup right? Not. Full of toxins.... What's a product queen to do? Stella McCartney's new organic line, here I come........

Come back and let us know how your favourite products rated. If you'll discontinue use, or just plug your ears........la la la la la. If your fave's faired well - let us know what it is you are using!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leisa let me make it easy for you, as I know you're concerned about this. I can help you with hair products - the best way to tell the 'real' natural hair care from the fake is their use of 'dimethicone', 'cyclomethicone', or 'amodimethicone' on the ingredients list.
You see, all of these 'cones' are silicones - a cheap and nasty 'fake' conditioner that makes hair look glossy but just coats and eventually dehydrates the hair. Pantene is famous for these. A real true blue natural hair product will not resort to any cheap silicones and thus you can be reasonably assured the rest of their ingredients are above board. Hope that helps - dump the silicones, you will find your hair will be bouncier, shinier and healthier.

Kirsten Adams said...

When it comes to skin care......try Arbonne it is a anti-aging skin care line that is safe, pure and highly beneficial. LOve it! Interested......I will gladly send samples. It is a swiss line that is so fab!

adams.Kirsten@gmail.com

LA said...

I'm scared to click that link.

Anonymous said...

Leisa,

Thanks for posting that website. I had never heard of it before. Scary how bad some of the products are that I've been using for a long time now.