Monday, December 04, 2006

Sure. Sure.


You notice when anyone happens to talk about the upcoming film DreamGirls they always mention how amazing Jennifer Hudson was. "She brings tears to your eyes" is a quote from Eddie Murphy tonight on ET. Oprah even called Jennifer Hudson personally after screening the picture. Did she call Beyonce? NOPE. There has been speculation that Beyonce was unhappy of all the Oscar talk Jennifer has been getting, but B denies any riff.

"I knew that the character that I played wasn't the star," Knowles, 25, told reporters on Saturday about knowing full well that her Diana Ross-esque role of Deena Jones was less meaty than Hudson's part as Effie White – a part that is already getting Hudson Oscar buzz. "She wasn't the underdog. She didn't have the struggle and the pain and the dramatic scenes that Effie had, and I was fine with that."

"I'm already a star. I already have nine Grammys. Everyone knows I can sing," Knowles said. "I did this because I wanted people to know that I can act and I can play someone so different from myself."
"It's really unfortunate that everyone is saying I'm jealous of Jennifer. It hurts my heart because it's so clichéd. … They're saying that I'm mad when I knew going into this that I was playing Deena," said Knowles. "Because I'm a star they just automatically assume that I'm not humble enough to sit down and take a back seat, which I am."

But the R&B star did admit that she would have liked to have sung Effie's song, "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going," a showstopper that, in large part, helped get Jennifer Holliday a Tony Award for best actress for the original 1981 Broadway version of Dreamgirls. "I mean," said Knowles, "I wish I could've gained 20 pounds and played Effie."


Beyonce's Beyonce. Jennifer Hudson was on American Idol last year.
She's got to be a little pissed.

source

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just know that Beyonce is spitting nails over this. I mean really; she's normally so full of herself. No way is this not bothering her.....

etexman903 said...

Beyonce' tried to write herself a song to add to the movie that rivaled Effie's power ballad and she didn't achieve it.

Knowles' voice is nice but it is thin, Holliday and Hudson have rich full bodied tones that lend well to the dynamics of "Telling"

Why the studio is kissing Beyonce's ass over this movie is beyond me. Jennifer's song should already be in heavy rotation on the radio not Beyonce's "listen".

Hudson, like her Character "Effie White" is getting screwed by the Diva in their lives.

Chanel (nbr5) said...

@Clinton-
You KNOW Beyonce's people made her single "Listen" happen FIRST because there's no way they wanted "Listen" to follow Jennifer Hudson's version of "And I am Telling You". If Jennifer Hudson's version is in any way similar to Jennifer Holiday's original, people are gonna forget all about Beyonce's "Listen"... I'm just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

Didn't she lose 20 pounds to be thin enough for Deena? Then she already was in the right weight range for Effie. Logic therefore says she wasn't right for Effie's vocal requirements. Give it up, B, someone else was, and just bask in your starhood and cuddle those nine Grammys, as Jennifer prepares a place for her Oscar. Have some class, chickie.

I wasn't a fan of Jen on AI, her facial expressions drove me nuts, but her voice was undeniable even then. A bit yelly, but sounds like she's conquered that. Whatever. Kudos to her getting her shot. And as she herself says, she's fierce. B bettah watch her back. Heh.

Anonymous said...

I knew from Beyonce's first interview that she was jealous of Jennifer's success. Which is crazy sad but true. Like she has said she is a star, so she sees Jennifer as a nobody I guess. She should have asked somebody about Jennifer, because she got fooled. She tried everything to outdo Jennifer but nothing worked. When she interviewed on Oprah and sang Listen with all she had and some she found, I am sure she was disappointed when she did not get a standing ovation. I am sure they did not let Jennifer sing because they knew she would have showed Beyonce off. Beyonce needs to just get over it. She is not that great of a singer, her songs mostly have catchy tunes and words to me. She has contradicted herself so many times which further lets me know that she is not all that happy for Jennifer if at all. I mean how can you be happy for someone when you are wishing that you had been given their spot or their song. Chile please. Jennifer deserves everything she is getting and she is a humble person ta boot. I like that in her, B should take notes. Beyonce will be doing everything that she can (Sports Illustrated) to keep herself in the spot light or some kind of light, because she does not want to be completly put out of the limelight by Jennifer. Jennifer is getting so much attention. That is just how I feel about it from day one. I was loving it when Beyonce said "I am a star, I have 9 grammys", lol what does that tell you? My My My