Saturday, October 11, 2008

TOnight

Tonight I had dinner with many. Tonight I had dinner with many of the men and women who made Vancouver what it is today. But it was I, at this time of breaking bread, it was I who made a mark.


Here I was, at a private dinner with a bunch of 60+ Vancouver Conservatives. I married a man with Conservative parents. Me... as Liberal as they come. This evening, I dined at Il Giardino with over forty 60 somethings in a private dining room. Though they loved to argue their conservative ways, they also LOVED to hear my Liberal ones. I sat with a couple whom I got along with famously - that was, until we discovered we were from the Left and from the Right. BUT they wanted to know why, why if I was American, why I would vote for Obama. Other than his charisma and his ability to really wear a suit, what could I tell them? I'm a Canadian.... more interested in US politics due solely on the sex-appeal? How lame can I be? More lame maybe, if I was dishonest and pretend I give a sh!t about Harper and the rest of them. I'm a Liberal person, I feel the need to stay Liberal, regardless of candidate.

3 comments:

LA said...

Bravo to you!

I come from a long line of conservatives (though I've never been one myself), but even my mother who has NEVER crossed party lines before is voting for Obama.

I think a simple answer to the question you were asked is that the US needs a change, and McCain represents 4 more years of Bush policies. Plus, the idea of Sarah Palin inheriting the presidency is as preposterous as it is scary. My opinion.

Leisa said...

and LA... that's why you and I could totally hang.

Ferdi en Mimi said...

You guys know for sure that whom ever is gonna win this election, nothing is changing in the US , its all about money, Mc Cain or Obama, it stays the same.......